should GOODLUCK JONATHAN contest the 2011 election

BENTLEY'S SEARCH

bentley

bentley

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

IGBEKE is senator at last

With a bible in his left hand and clutching some oath papers with the right, Alphonsus Ubanese Igbeke of the All Nigeria People’s Party yesterday took the oath that confirmed him as the senator representing Anambra North senatorial district. The event, which took place at the Senate chambers, brings an end to a protracted, “tortuous and dramatic” journey to the senate.

He will now replace Joy Emordi who had spent three years in a four year tenure that started in 2007.

Until yesterday, Mrs Emordi, had tenaciously held on to the senate seat despite court rulings ousting her from the senate. She had in March been asked by an Enugu Appeal Court to leave the senate following the court’s ruling that it was Mr. Igbeke who got the majority vote at the 2007 Anambra North senatorial election.

Mrs Emordi, however, stayed back in the senate - and the senate leadership refused to admit Mr Igbeke - after she appealed to the court for an interpretation of its ruling against an earlier ruling in her favour. A month later, the court ordered the Senate to admit Mr. Igbeke “immediately,” but the leadership of the upper chambers refused to do that, citing a notice about a fresh case instituted by Mrs Emordi in the Supreme Court.

His admittance into the Senate yesterday followed the advice of Bello Adoke, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, who told the Senate that unless there was a court injunction restraining the Senate from admitting Mr. Igbeke, there was no legal grounds to refuse him the oath of office.

Not on my worst enemy

“Indubitably, my three years experience was excruciating and unpalatable, and such that I would not wish on anyone, not even my enemy.” Mr. Igbeke told reporters after his first plenary on Tuesday.

However, the Senate has made no apologies for barring Mr. Igbeke all the while and allowing Mrs Emordi to sit and contribute at Senate debates after the appeal court’s ruling in March and a second order in May. Mr. Igbeke brings the number of opposition senators in the senate to 18 - too few to make any real impact - although his allegiance to the All Nigeria People’s Party on whose platform he was elected, is now in doubt as there are indications that he will move on to another party soon.

He said his experience in the course of winning back his seat proved to him that even if he joined another party, he will have lots of followers.

“Even if I decided to join Alliance for Democracy tomorrow, even if I decided to join CDC tomorrow or whatever party as you may think, they are here, they know themselves; they know my kind of person.

“I am in politics because of my commitment to impact on the lives of the people and this is something I have started so many years back ever before I join this trade called politics and people will be ready to go with me to whatever platform I might decide to go to.” Mr. Igbeke said.

I forgive Mrs Emordi

Mr. Igbeke, in an interview with reporters, said he has forgiven Mrs Emodi and everybody else that offended him while the struggle for his seat lasted.

He said he will put the past behind him, let Mrs Emodi enjoy the allowance she had taken, and focus on his duties in the Senate while hoping that his future allowances will be catered for.

“I want to concentrate on how to focus myself and then get myself acclimatized with the system and I’ve decided to adopt what is called reflective thinking, this reflective thinking means that you look at your past learn from it and use it to forge ahead. I must tell you that I’ve forgiven those who offended me including my opponent,” Mr. Igbeke told NEXT. “I’m putting everything behind me. I’m not bothered about whatever money may have been collected, but I do know that senate is a law making body that believes in law and I know that they will be honourable enough to give me my suppose entitlement when I ask for it.”

Mr Igbeke has about one year to spend as a senator and says he will focus it on providing quality representation to his people.

“I assure the people of Anambra North of quality representation such that they have never experienced before,” he said.

Mr. Igbeke who before now cut the picture of a lone combatant fighting to be admitted into the Senate, was yesterday trailed by a mammoth crowd which came to felicitate with him over his victory.

Some Nollywood stars like Mama Gee, Mr. Ibu, Victor Osuagwu and Kanayo O Kanayo were also at the National Assembly to felicitate with the new senator.

The crowd was later treated to a party in celebration of the victory at the International Conference Centre in Abuja.

No comments:

Post a Comment